emwadmin
Site Admin

Broadcom WICED SDK on EMW3165

Mon Jul 20, 2015 1:59 am

I had a very pleasant exchange with MXCHIP support and they confirmed that the module will not be locked down to using their MiCO platform/libraries. They confirmed that they will be supporting the Broadcom WICED WiFi SDK. More Information on WICED can be found here:
http://community.broadcom.com/community/wiced-wifi

Broadcom has a rather well-established reputation for not doing a good job of supporting low-volume customers, however they've been pretty good with getting the WICED SDK out and into the hands of anyone who wants to play with it. Between their documentation and support direct from MXCHIP, this module will more than likely end up being the best path to bringing a low-volume WICED-based product to market.

kjordan2001

Re: Broadcom WICED SDK on EMW3165

Tue Jul 21, 2015 4:28 pm

Did they give a timeline for when the source code for WICED development for it would be up? I've ordered a couple modules from Seeed Studio and hopefully they'll ship them in the next few days so I'm eager to get started on them but don't really want to use IAR Workbench and they haven't ported their own SDK to GCC yet.

emwadmin
Site Admin

Tue Jul 21, 2015 9:29 pm

It's my understanding that it's already possible to compile code using the WICED SDK with GCC. I believe that the porting that MXCHIP is doing is for being able to compile their MiCO platform using GCC, which they said is underway and will be available "in a few weeks."

I am currently in the process of getting familiar with WICED and setting up everything to be able to build code successfully before my modules arrive (hopefully). I found this posting on hackaday.io https://hackaday.io/project/4128-emw3162 which is a guide from someone who was able to compile WICED for MXCHIP's older EMW3162 module using GCC. It also points to a github repo which I believe will be a very useful reference in working through it.

I'll post more details once I make some measureable progress.

RogerClark

Wed Aug 05, 2015 7:40 am

Did you make any progress compiling using GCC.

I've no received some module, but still need to work out how to wire them up, as I don't have a breakout board. (though I have ordered some from Dirty Cheap PCB's)

emilfr

Thu Aug 06, 2015 1:25 am

I've checked in a preliminary platform config here: https://github.com/EMW3162/WICED_for_EMW3162
It's based on MICO, has the wrong linker scripts as WICED doesn't have any for STM32F411 and mappings are incomplete and even wrong in some cases. Also, I've not tested it on actual hw yet, as I've yet to solder my EMW3165 to the dev board, but I'll try it tomorrow.

Any feedback and PRs are appreciated.
Maintainer of the EMW3162 and EMW3165 port of Broadcom WICED.
== Github == Gitter.im chatroom == WICED subforum == Getting started with WICED on EMW ==

-- Neither I nor the WICED for EMW project are affiliated with MXCHIP or Broadcom --

emwadmin
Site Admin

Mon Aug 10, 2015 4:32 pm

Thanks! This is great! My modules arrived a few days ago, still waiting on the breakout boards though. Might just solder leads directly to the pins to get going with trying to put some code on the module. I was traveling for work last week, however I am hopeful to spend a fair amount of time on this throughout this week.

emilfr

Mon Aug 10, 2015 5:02 pm

Heh, I already have a couple of modules, the dev board AND the breakout you posted, from DirtyPCBs... and I'm in Iceland, almost as far as you can be from Hong Kong.
I just got the breakouts this morning, so I haven't tested 'em yet and I managed to slightly offset the module on the devboard, so it doesn't work, so I've not actually used the module at all.
I guess I'll try to reflow the module off the dev board today, if I get a chance.

Also, there is a new URL for the repo. I thought it would make sense to not call the organization and repos EMW3162, as we're supporting more platforms and we required a new repo anyway to support WICED 3.3.1. WICED 3.1.2 from the older repo doesn't support STM32F411 MCUs, so it's not really suitable for the EMW3165.

New repo:
https://github.com/MXCHIP-EMW/WICED-for-EMW
== Github == Gitter.im chatroom == WICED subforum == Getting started with WICED on EMW ==

-- Neither I nor the WICED for EMW project are affiliated with MXCHIP or Broadcom --

emwadmin
Site Admin

Mon Aug 10, 2015 9:00 pm

I guess you're either just really lucky, or Iceland Postal Service has really got a great operation going on. I usually get my boards from DirtyPCBs within 2 weeks, not sure how I was so unlucky this time. Anyways though, hope to have them by the end of the week. I'm pulling a local copy of the repo now. Out of curiosity, which OS are using? I run windows natively but I'm going to spin up a nice clean Ubuntu VM to do development work.

emilfr

Mon Aug 10, 2015 11:10 pm

I'm running Arch Linux. I haven't tried building WICED on Windows, but I imagine you must be able to, since they distribute a Windows only IDE package.
I don't think it matters what flavor of Linux you use to build, as WICED comes with its own pre-built binaries, at least if you use a WICED supported JTAG adapter.
I vaguely recall some issues where I had to build a newer version of OpenOCD to make some JTAG adapter work, probably Bus Blaster v4 w/ KTlink firmware, that isn't supported by the prebuilt OpenOCD in WICED.

emwadmin
Site Admin

Mon Aug 10, 2015 11:27 pm

Nice - I set up a Lubuntu VM - I've got both Segger J-Link (and J-Link lite from an old nRF51822 dev kit that I'm going to try out with it) and an STLink V2, so I think I should be alright. I don't think I'm even going to try playing with WICED in Windows - it's always more satisfying to work in linux, even if it's a bit out of my comfort zone. Especially with Windows 8.1 and the upcoming migration to Windows 10. For this reason I like to configure dev environments in VMs and then they never are dependent on my host OS, so I can easily move them around.

I'm able to compile code using

Code: Select all

./make EMW3165-LwIP-FreeRTOS-snip.apsta
and I get a bunch of warnings and a few errors. Most of the errors are "redefinition of WWD_RTOS_DEFINE_ISR", rising from platform.c, lines 435, 440, 445, 450, 455, and "expected declaration specifiers before WWD_RTOS_MAP_ISR" on line 466.

I haven't done any digging yet, but any chance you're already aware of this or have any idea why I'd get these with a clean, unmodified, build?

Return to “Firmware Development”