tris

Soldering tips?

Sun Aug 30, 2015 11:50 am

I tried soldering my EMW3165 to the dev board yesterday without much luck, and it looks like I might have ruined a couple of pins in the process (managed to break of the metal bit on pins 19 and 20). Is it likely that the pins will still be usable if I paint them with conductive paint, and if so, what is the best technique for soldering the EMW3165 onto the dev board?

emilfr

Re: Soldering tips?

Mon Aug 31, 2015 12:26 am

I had a very hard time soldering it. The first attempt lifted some pads, but thankfully only NC ones, but it seems its way too easy to lift them... never had this happen before, with anything.
Then I managed to misalign it a bit and eventually I had to break out the heatgun to desolder it. I then gave up and waited for the breakout from DirtyPCBs. I put a drop of superglue on the breakout from DirtyPCBs and aligned it perfectly, clamped it and waited till it dried. I then soldered it and it both rather easy and worked great.
When I got a second devboard, I put a drop a glue on it and put a clamp on, like with the breakout, but it was still rather difficult to solder and very easy to bridge, but eventually I got it properly soldered. The reset button still doesn't work, but it seems to be a defect with the board rather than my soldering as I get continuity from the pin to the button.

The first devboard is still on my desk and without a module mounted on it.
Maintainer of the EMW3162 and EMW3165 port of Broadcom WICED.
== Github == Gitter.im chatroom == WICED subforum == Getting started with WICED on EMW ==

-- Neither I nor the WICED for EMW project are affiliated with MXCHIP or Broadcom --

tris

Mon Aug 31, 2015 3:20 pm

Glad I'm not the only one having problems with soldering. I've ordered some solder wick and finer tips, so hopefully I'll be able to give it another shot. Thanks for the tip about the glue, seems like a good way of ensuring it stays straight. Do you think conductive paint will work on the lifted pins?

emilfr

Mon Aug 31, 2015 8:06 pm

Well, if there is anything left of the trace. You might have lifed a part of a trace as well and if so, the you just need to sand a bit of the soldermask off and find the trace and paint from there. I recommend checking out youtube videos on that.
Just make sure that you check the pins with the datasheet so you don't spend any effort on pins that are not connected to anything.
== Github == Gitter.im chatroom == WICED subforum == Getting started with WICED on EMW ==

-- Neither I nor the WICED for EMW project are affiliated with MXCHIP or Broadcom --

leppie

Fri Sep 04, 2015 5:13 pm

I concur, hand soldering these are a bitch. I ordered some of my own boards based on the footprint given in the datasheet and first attempt was a complete fail :? I did order 7 modules expecting to lose 1 or 2, but not so soon :( At least I have a practice module now :D

moenad

Fri Sep 11, 2015 6:06 pm

How do you that you actually soldered it correctly? I didn't add any solder to it, just used the base solder with some flux. I can't test it now given that there's no MICO on github.... what now? Nothing on the serial port when I connect it.

emilfr

Sat Sep 12, 2015 11:22 pm

I just used a continuity tester on a multimeter to see if there were any shorts and a strong magnifier as well as my phone camera to give it an even thorougher look.
Also, it's a good idea to use the continuity tester on the module itself and on the corresponding breakout pin, to make sure that there is electrical contact between the module and the board. I've seen tiny gaps between the board and the module and that can make debugging rather hard :p It's difficult to properly verify this, but a combination of magnifiers and continuity testing should help with getting this soldered properly.

With the factory bootloader, I believe you should get the MICO bootloader menu via UART, but I have to admit that my experience with MICO is mostly confined to looking at the source.

You don't need MICO, you can use WICED from here https://www.github.com/MXCHIP-EMW/WICED-for-EMW instead, but if you insist on using MICO, SmartArduino has a customized fork of it here: https://github.com/SmartArduino/WiFiMCU

A guide to getting up and running with WICED can be found here: http://www.seeedstudio.com/recipe/344-p ... d-gcc.html

MXCHIP also claims that MICO will be back on Github soon.

leppie

Mon Sep 21, 2015 1:43 pm

2nd soldering attempt was a breeze. 15 minutes probably. Tinned all pads liberally, then positioned it with a thin layer of blue tack underneath. Then just heat from the iron. Fixed up missing connections with a dab of solder and flux.

My previous module I eventually got soldered, but even though it talked to ST Link the first time, it refused after.

No such problem this time :D

oakkar7

Wed Oct 21, 2015 8:25 am

I have experience in hand soldering but I admitted that soldering this module to board is a tricky job. I used normal soldering iron with sharp, clean tip, small soldering lead and flux. I used 20-40W normal soldering iron.

- Lock module on board by a paper click
- tin modules pad, just a little
- Apply flux to both base and module pads
- Try to keep soldering iron to 90 degree with board.
- Soldering GND pins will need more temperature because of big ground plane. I just clicked gun 40W switch a while before soldering.

Just removed only one bridge with desoldering wick. Successful, power up and worked well.

terryoy

Thu Oct 22, 2015 3:47 am

@oakkar7 that's a nice demostration!

Return to “General Discussion”