petesoper

This forum's search index

Mon Jan 04, 2016 5:15 pm

I couldn't figure out how to contact the admin to ask this question directly.

If I search this forum for "Micropython" the result is a message about "Micropython" constituting "too many common words". Does this mean the search index is simply not set up, that it's configured to be too picky (and presumably could be made more liberal), or what? It would be mighty handy if I could search the forum to see if something has been discussed before spamming the forum with duplicated questions or comments.

And I hope this doesn't come across as lack of gratitude. I view this forum as a great resource. But it's getting harder and harder to even skim through all the postings. :)

I wonder if it's possible to download all the forum postings as text? With GNU Mailman lists this is ordinarily straight forward. Are postings to phpBB archived in some standard location were I could just wget them from time to time?

emwadmin
Site Admin

Re: This forum's search index

Wed Jan 06, 2016 7:46 am

Thanks for pointing that out - I looked into it today and believe that I was able to solve the problem by rebuilding the search index. I tested it out by searching for Micropython after completing the process, and it no longer returns the obscure message and actually shows real results :-)

I really appreciate having things like this pointed out, it's my goal to keep this site as functional and useful as possible. If you see other areas of improvement, don't hesitate to let me know. As for being able to download all the forum posts, I imagine there's a way to do it, however I'm not sure how useful it will be now that search appears to be working. Let me know if you're still interested in it and I'll see what I can find out about it.

Cheers!

Return to “General Discussion”