moenad

So what's the status of MICO, WICED and the whole EMW3165 module?

Fri Oct 09, 2015 10:26 pm

I don't know but it seems this module is dying before even starting.

- Status of Linux/Mac support? GCC...
- Official support of WICED?
- MICO isn't even on github now, they said it'll be back in september. Almost mid October, and nothing so far.

I'm literally just looking at the modules now... nothing else, it's like I bought them to put them on my desk.

MXChip should seriously look into putting some effort from that side. And something I really hate, is the freaking HUGE watermark they have on their documentations. Come on? It was rushed, very rushed to the market.

loboris

Re: So what's the status of MICO, WICED and the whole EMW3165 module?

Sat Oct 10, 2015 5:01 pm

To work with MICO you can clone the WiFiMCU repo (https://github.com/SmartArduino/WiFiMCU.git).
It compiles without problems (you must have access to IAR Embedded Workbench). You don't have to build lua if you don't need it.

To work with WICED, follow the instructions in MXCHIP-EMW repository (https://github.com/MXCHIP-EMW/WICED-for-EMW.git).
All the demo's and snippets builds and run without problem. It works on Linux with GCC...

You can read discussion on https://gitter.im/MXCHIP-EMW/WICED-for-EMW to get more informations.

There is also MODE (http://dev.tinkermode.com) WICED SDK (https://github.com/moderepo/WICED-SDK.git) which can be included into WICED.

I'm using WiFiMCU breakout board (http://www.wifimcu.com), and all tested projects (MICO, WICED, lua) are working fine.

emilfr

Sun Oct 11, 2015 11:53 am

MICO is available from the MXCHIP website now, but last I knew, the new MICO part of their site was in Chinese only.
Nb. I've never actually used MICO, so I cannot testify about its functionality.

WICED works, for the most part. Over the air updates and factory reset doesn't work, but as far as I know, most or all other features work fine. It's supported on Linux, but people have used it on Windows under Cygwin. However, using a virtual machine for developing with WICED is probably easier, due to OpenOCD, libusb and Windows in combination being a pain in the ass.

I have no experience from other projects and my WifiMCUs have not made it to Iceland in the 2 months since I ordered them, so I have no experience from those either.

If you have issues getting your modules to work, as suggested above, join us on Gitter and if you have questions about MICO, MXCHIP is always happy to answer questions via sales@mxchip.com and have almost always been rather quick at getting back to me.

I really like the EMW3165 and its older sibling EMW3162. TBH, I've never actually MADE anything special with 'em, just played around, due to the excessive amount of time spent on actually supporting WICED on the platforms.

To easily get started setting up WICED, you could check out the recipe I posted at Seeeds recipe site. Here: http://www.seeedstudio.com/recipe/344-p ... d-gcc.html
Maintainer of the EMW3162 and EMW3165 port of Broadcom WICED.
== Github == Gitter.im chatroom == WICED subforum == Getting started with WICED on EMW ==

-- Neither I nor the WICED for EMW project are affiliated with MXCHIP or Broadcom --

KevinA

Sun Nov 15, 2015 5:05 pm

@emilfr
Is it time for an update? -> WICED SDK 4 | MiCO | Lua 9.6 (Close but broken)
Did Broadcom include a fix for Freetos/SPI/lwip in the SDK 4.0?

emilfr

Mon Nov 16, 2015 7:31 am

I didn't realize there was a new WICED version. Thanks. I'll look into it at once.
OTA and FR works now. I haven't updated the documentation as I've not fully tested it.
== Github == Gitter.im chatroom == WICED subforum == Getting started with WICED on EMW ==

-- Neither I nor the WICED for EMW project are affiliated with MXCHIP or Broadcom --

tve

Tue Nov 17, 2015 2:31 am

Do you have a link/pointer to the new WICED version? In the forums I only see a version 3.4 that is for AWS IoT only.

KevinA

Tue Nov 17, 2015 7:41 am

https://community.broadcom.com/message/21203#21203 Talking about WICED 3.5
https://community.broadcom.com/docs/DOC-2484 the WICED 3.4 download
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=4330 WiFiMCU LUA ported to MICO 2.3.0.2 more updates

I'm working up to getting a Linux MARS.1 Eclipse version of WICED working, after working all day trying (didn't happen) to compile the x64 Linux version of the tool chain I found one already built in WICED SDK.....

tve

Tue Nov 17, 2015 8:25 am

Please read the comments on the 3.4 release page you linked to, it clearly says that this is a special AWS release and not a general 3.4 release. I see the messages talking about 3.5, but nothing to download anywhere...

KevinA

Tue Nov 17, 2015 8:40 am

tve wrote:Please read the comments on the 3.4 release page you linked to, it clearly says that this is a special AWS release and not a general 3.4 release. I see the messages talking about 3.5, but nothing to download anywhere...

Read some of the posts, seems they have 'fixed' some problems with 3.3 and explained how to add 3.4 to an existing work space. I couldn't find anything else about 3.5 but it seems to me they are going in a lot of directions...... I think someone needs to explain to Broadcom how to run patch tools..

emilfr

Tue Nov 17, 2015 7:08 pm

WICED 3.4 seems to include quite a few improvements beyond just AWS integration.

See CHANGELOG.txt
Changes for WICED-SDK 3.4.0
* Applications
* snip.mqtt_publisher and snip.mqtt_subscriber replaced with new snip.mqtt app
* Improved snip.tftp
* Removed Xively support from demo.temp_control as it no longer offers a free service
* New applications
* demo.apollo_sender
* demo.audio_loopback
* demo.bt_smartbridge
* demo.bt_internet_gateway.hps_client_keypad
* demo.bt_internet_gateway.hps_server
* demo.bt_internet_gateway.blemesh_network
* snip.custom_ie
* snip.flac
* snip.bluetooth.ble_hello_sensor
* snip.graphics.graphicstest
* snip.graphics.hello
* snip.http_server_sent_events
* snip.https_server
* snip.secure_mqtt
* snip.ssdp
* Platforms
* Replaced BCM943909WCD1 with BCM943909WCD1_3
* Added new platforms
* BCM94343WWCD1
* BCM943438WCD1
* BCM943907WAE_1
* Libraries, Protocols, Drivers
* Added FLAC codec library
* Updated and improved HTTP server
* Replaced use of strstr with strnstr
* Added support for Server-Sent Event (SSE)
* Added wildcard pattern support for matching URL path
* Replaced keypad and gpio_keypad libraries with new button_manager and gpio_button libraries
* New MQTT library
* Added SSDP library
* Improved websocket library
* Added u8g graphics library
* Added support for AK4961 codec
* Updated Apollo audio libraries and demonstration apps
* Replaced internal keys storage management of Bluetooth BTEWICED stack with user callbacks
* Added a new, resource optimized Bluetooth LE stack (BTEWICED_LE)
* Added legacy Bluetooth SmartBridge API. SmartBridge now uses BTEWICED_LE stack
* Bluetooth Internet Gateway (BIG)
* Added support for running multiple GATT clients simultanously
* Improved RESTful Smart server and added support for client notifications via SSE
* Added HTTP Proxy Service (HPS) library
* Added BLE Mesh library
* WICED API
* TLS improvements
* wiced_tcp_server_add_tls() has been replaced with wiced_tcp_server_enable_tls()
* Replaced wiced_tls_simple_context_t and wiced_tls_advanced_context_t with wiced_tls_context_t and wiced_tls_identity_t.
* Moved wiced_tls_xxxx API from wiced_tcpip.h to a new file: /include/wiced_tls.h
* Added wiced_tcp_get_socket_state()
* Added /include/wiced_crypto.h
* Added wiced_crypto_get_random() to replace use of wwd_wifi_get_random()
* Added wiced_crypto_add_entropy() to enable non-Wi-Fi sources of entropy
* wiced_audio_device_interface_t replaced audio_device_pause and audio_device_resume members with audio_device_stop_streaming
* Added wiced_audio_set_pll_fractional_divider() API
* Added /include/wiced_bluetooth.h file to define Bluetooth related wiced_result_t values
* Added WICED_TCPIP_SOCKET_CLOSED wiced_result_t type
* Default values of WICED_DEFAULT_TCP_TX_DEPTH_QUEUE and WICED_DEFAULT_TCP_RX_DEPTH_QUEUE changed from 3 to 5 to reduce packet loss on high throughput TCP sockets
* System monitor API moved from wiced_management.h to wiced_framework.h
* Changed size argument in wiced_uart_receive_bytes() to uint32_t* so it can recieve actual bytes received after a timeout
* Added new I2C API; wiced_i2c_read() and wiced_i2c_write()
* Added support for repeated start bits to I2C API
* Added new wiced_audio_timer_xxxx API to control high resolution timing for audio applications
* Added new malloc debug API; malloc_print_mallocs()
* Added strnstr() and match_string_with_wildcard_pattern() to wiced_utilities.h
* CUSTOM_DEFAULT_DCT has been renamed to WIFI_CONFIG_APPLICATION_DEFINED
* New Bluetooth default DCT option; WICED_BLUETOOTH_DEVICE_CLASS
* Fixed memory leak in wiced_scan_result_handler() when processing off channel scan results
* LwIP network_tcp_send_packet() no longer sets NETCONN_DONTBLOCK when calling netconn_write()
* LwIP wiced_tcp_socket_t sockets now keeps track of the socket state
* Fixed TCP restransmission for NetX and NetX_Duo
* Fixed use of WICED_DISABLE_TLS in NetX_Duo
* Moved str_to_ip() and format_wep_keys() into wiced_network_common.c
* Moved wiced_tcp_stream_write_resource() into wiced_tcpip_common.c
* Improved support for ARM Cortex R4
* Improved support for STM32F4xx peripherals
* Added support for secure BCM43909
* Updated FreeRTOS from version 7.5.2 to 8.2.1
* Fixed clearing of interrupts for STM32F4xx UART
* Fixed scanning of 5GHz channels for APs configured for wider than 20MHz operation
* Added support to read DER format certificates
* New WLAN firmware
* Added support for BCM4343W WLAN device
* WICED Application Framework (WAF)
* Building waf.bootloader and waf.sflash_write no longer requires a network stack or Wi-Fi bus to be defined

I've just started looking into porting WICED-for-EMW to 3.4.0 and there are some changes to the framework that require some modifications to the platform definition for the EMW modules on 3.3.1.
Also, improved support for STM32F4xx peripherals is quite nice, as the patch in the EMW-for-WICED project was not complete.
There are also improvements on LwIP in the update, so hopefully LwIP can be used without risking TCP retries not working...

Return to “General Discussion”