emwadmin
Site Admin

DoIT releases WiFiMCU -- like NodeMCU but on the EMW3165

Mon Aug 10, 2015 11:51 pm

For all those who have played around with the NodeMCU project with the ESP8266, you'll be pleasantly surprised to see a similar project already pop-up for the EMW3165 module.

If you're not familar with NodeMCU, essentially what this project does is build a LUAinterpreter with necessary hardware support to easily get up an running with a light-weight file system and support for various web protocols. Basically you can load this on your device and then run code on it with nothing more than a terminal connection. I could go on and on, but please, just check it out for yourself:

The project page can be found here: http://www.wifimcu.com/en.html
And the source code is here: https://github.com/SmartArduino/WiFiMCU

Unfortunately, not much info about how to build the code / get it on a board yet, and haven't found any place to buy the hardware they have posted photos of. I'll be reaching out them to find out more. Stay tuned for updates! Anyone familiar with this project, please feel free to make this your new home for development.

terryoy

Re: DoIT releases WiFiMCU -- like NodeMCU but on the EMW3165

Tue Aug 11, 2015 2:37 am

That would be wonderful. The lua code base might gradually grow into a big thing for IoT devices. It's a lot easier to start with lua environment than the compiler toolchain.

emilfr

Tue Aug 11, 2015 7:19 pm

Looks good... I'm afraid this seems to need the same tools as MICO to compile, after a short glance at it.
Using Lua is a good way to prototype and build simple applications with this module and it makes the barrier to entry for the platform lower, but I kind of feel like it's a waste of the STM32F411s potential, as it can do so much more than an ATMEGA or ESP8266, being a full fledged Cortex-M4, capable of running a fully fledged RTOS.
The choice of Lua is interesting, both for this and ESP8266... it's such a unique language, but of scripting languages it has the smallest memory footprint, so it's understandable.

Perhaps I could add a WICED patch to support this on the platform I've been developing on and that way potentially be able to run Lua code and RTOS tasks side by side.

The development board on the pictures on their site is something I'd love to be able to get. The MXCHIP one is so huge, a quarter of it being an NFC antenna connected to an unpopulated NFC/I2C EEPROM tag footprint.
Maintainer of the EMW3162 and EMW3165 port of Broadcom WICED.
== Github == Gitter.im chatroom == WICED subforum == Getting started with WICED on EMW ==

-- Neither I nor the WICED for EMW project are affiliated with MXCHIP or Broadcom --

emwadmin
Site Admin

Tue Aug 11, 2015 8:35 pm

I agree - as-is, it looks like the code can only be built with IAR. I've reached out to them to the project owners for additional info on purchasing the module, any open-source hardware files available, any pre-combined binaries to muck around with for those without IAR :-P - hopefully get a response soon.

I agree that a project of this nature is definitely not using the MCU to it's full potential, but the benefits come in the form of extremely fast rapid prototyping and proof-of-concept development, especially if support is added for MQTT and other protocols right out of the box, like they did on the NodeMCU project. This really lowers the learning curve for beginnings and makes mashing some cool projects together on a weekend well within the reach of the average hobbyist.

I'd love to see what you could do with turning this into a hybrid LUA / RTOS system. I'm a hardware guy so I'm quite inexperienced when it comes to doing RTOS stuff on chips, so the best I could contribute to that would be ample testing. However I do have an Altium Designer license and would be happy to pump out a killer dev board for this module that's much more convenient than the MXCHIP eval board. Of course, I'd love it if it were possible to buy the one shown in the WiFiMCU page photos, but if I don't hear back from them, maybe I'll whip up something similar on my own.

emilfr

Tue Aug 11, 2015 11:16 pm

Heh, I just posted in another thread about a devboard idea I have. I have never designed a more than a very simple board.
I suggest looking at the green devboard schematics to see how that works.

I attached the schematic to this post.

I've just completed soldering my module to your breakout board and I'm going to see if it works... it might be fried after my heatgun blasts, but if it does work, I'll try to use my FT2232H breakout board to interface with it, like it's used on the green devboard.
Attachments
EMB-WICED-S-Schematic.pdf
(62.71 KiB) Downloaded 192 times
Maintainer of the EMW3162 and EMW3165 port of Broadcom WICED.
== Github == Gitter.im chatroom == WICED subforum == Getting started with WICED on EMW ==

-- Neither I nor the WICED for EMW project are affiliated with MXCHIP or Broadcom --

emwadmin
Site Admin

Mon Aug 17, 2015 7:14 am

Turns out that DoIT released their WiFiMCU dev board for purchase starting a few hours ago. You can see my post about it here:
http://www.emw3165.com/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=73

Glad I didn't spend my weekend trying to make the exact same thing :-P I just ordered a handful of them.

Erni

Tue Aug 18, 2015 10:38 am

I have ordered a WiFiMCU board yesterday.
Is there any news about precompiled LUA firmware like the ones we arte used to from ESP8266?

emwadmin
Site Admin

Tue Aug 18, 2015 4:41 pm

Yes, Actually. Looks like DoIT checked in an update to the WiFiMCU Studio tool here https://github.com/SmartArduino/WiFiMCU-STUDIO which includes the binaries to flash to the module. Just fire that up and have a look at the "firmware" tab, looks like this is the place to go to be able to easily load the WiFiMCU project on the module. After that, you'll be able to interact with the lua interpreter via the usual means.

wifimcu_studio_firmware_tab.png
wifimcu_studio_firmware_tab.png (81.51 KiB) Viewed 4785 times

Erni

Tue Aug 18, 2015 9:46 pm

Thanks,
That looks promissing.
Sadly I just lost my only module while trying to solder some more wires to it, so I will have to wait to the WiFiMCU board arrives.

doit_yp

Wed Aug 19, 2015 1:31 am

Hi, guys
We have just updated the WiFiMCU STUDIO tools at github:https://github.com/SmartArduino/WiFiMCU-STUDIO.
Yes, the tools can:

.simplily click button to control gpio/timer/pwm/adc
.easily setup wifi and socket.
.upload/view the lua scripts, run the scripts or compile it to .lc file
.upload firmware/bootloader/wlan driver

The tutorial will be coming soon...
command.png
command tabpage
command.png (53.31 KiB) Viewed 4771 times

wifinet.png
wifi net tabpage
wifinet.png (50.66 KiB) Viewed 4771 times