emwadmin
Site Admin

WiFiMCU Studio Tool Released

Tue Aug 18, 2015 12:38 am

Earlier today, DoIT released an open-source tool to make loading the WiFiMCU firmware on the module much easier. You can check out their repo here:
https://github.com/SmartArduino/WiFiMCU-STUDIO

So that's where the good news ends, unfortunately. I downloaded the repo and the binaries do not run on my Windows 8.1 machine. I went to try to compile it using VS Community 2013 and it also gave me a pile of compile-time errors about missing references to VisualBasic components (which I found strange, since the project itself is done in C#). All in all, I think it just needs a bit more attention to make it more stable across many environments and hopefully more easy to compile on different versions of Visual Studio as well. Hopefully DoIT is open to pull-requests ;-)

After a little digging around, I was able to get it to compile in VS2013 Community after installing Microsoft Visual Basic Power Packs (here's the link: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=25169), restarting the VS2013 IDE, and then adding the missing reference to the Power Packs in the project references. However, even after installing the power backs, the compiled binaries in the repo still crash immediately when I try to run them.

wifimcu_studio_tool.png
wifimcu_studio_tool.png (85.7 KiB) Viewed 4807 times

It's not much to look at, and haven't tested out it's functionality yet - but it's an excellent starting point.

terryoy

Re: WiFiMCU Studio Tool Released

Tue Aug 18, 2015 2:02 am

If the programming environment is no difference to nodemcu, I think I will stick with ESPlorer which is already mature.

emwadmin
Site Admin

Tue Aug 18, 2015 2:39 am

That's a great point - I wonder how well the ESPlorer can be applied to the the EMW3165 module. I am not sure if the protocol used to flash the firmware to the modules is the same, as I imagine programming the ST MCU is different than programming the ESP8266. If it doesn't work right out of the box, I bet that adding in the necessary functionality to support the EMW3165 would require minimal effort from someone skilled in Java.

While Java is great that it's supported on practically every OS, the downside is it's clunky UI. Especially on Windows laptops with high-density displays, the text, menus, and icons are so small that it's pretty much unusable on my machine. I'm also not skilled in Java, so I'm a big fan of tools written in C# for that reason too :-P

doit_yp

Wed Aug 19, 2015 1:09 am

We had just updated the tool at github:
https://github.com/SmartArduino/WiFiMCU-STUDIO

The tool is developed based on Visual Studio Ultimate 2012.
Software engineer from DoIT
yangping@doit.am

daguro

Tue Sep 15, 2015 12:53 am

I have the WiFiMCU-STUDIO tool on my Win7 machine and it seems to work.

I want to upload a micropython binary to the WiFIMCU. How do I do that with the WiFiMCU-STUDIO?

Thanks.

doit_yp

Tue Sep 15, 2015 12:49 pm

Hi,
As the file uploading codes in WiFiMCU-STUDIO are writen with file module, using the function 'file.writeline', it reqiures text format with each line end with '\r\n', So basically, binary files are not supportted at present.
You can use file.write() function to write any thing to the file system.
We may consider updating the WiFiMCU-STUDIO about this function later.
Thank you.

daguro wrote:I have the WiFiMCU-STUDIO tool on my Win7 machine and it seems to work.

I want to upload a micropython binary to the WiFIMCU. How do I do that with the WiFiMCU-STUDIO?

Thanks.
Software engineer from DoIT
yangping@doit.am

Return to “WiFiMCU”