emwadmin
Site Admin

Espruino on the EMW3165 is low-hanging fruit

Wed Aug 12, 2015 9:51 pm

The community over at Espruino has a thread going on discussing getting the project working on the EMW3165 module. They already have support for the STM MCU used on the module, all that's missing is the WiFi support.

Jump on the thread here: http://forum.espruino.com/conversations/271085/

With the WICED SDK board patch available to compile code, it shouldn't be all that difficult to bring this module up to full support.

gfwilliams

Re: Espruino on the EMW3165 is low-hanging fruit

Tue Sep 15, 2015 12:27 pm

Anyone else interested in this?

I'm the developer of Espruino, and I'm really interested in porting this. The actual hardware support should be pretty good given Espruino already compiles and runs on the F411 Nucleo (and the Espruino Pico board is based on the F401).

It's just handling the actual WiFi. Is network connectivity via a pretty much standard BSD socket API? That'd make life a lot easier.

emilfr

Tue Sep 15, 2015 11:26 pm

Broadcom provides a wifi driver as a part of their WICED framework (see my signature) and their framework uses a network stack like LwIP (WICED also supports non-free alternatives, as LwIP only supports IPv4) to do higher level control.
So, I recommend you take a look at WICED. The wifi driver part is called WWD, so finding that in there should be easy. You could also build your support on top of WICED, though as it cannot be freely distributed in source form might be a problem if your projects requires that...
Maintainer of the EMW3162 and EMW3165 port of Broadcom WICED.
== Github == Gitter.im chatroom == WICED subforum == Getting started with WICED on EMW ==

-- Neither I nor the WICED for EMW project are affiliated with MXCHIP or Broadcom --

gfwilliams

Wed Sep 16, 2015 8:00 am

Thanks for the pointers - I'll take a look.

It seems like porting the existing network code to work with lwip will be really quite easy.

Return to “Espruino”