robot

New User Introduction, Hi!

Sat Nov 14, 2015 7:55 am

Hello everyone. Looks like a small but engaged forum that you have created around the emw3165. We have been using the bluegiga wf121 on our last product. I'm responsible to research and identify the next wifi module choice. Of course the emw3165 passed the requirement test with flying colors!

I have been lurking on this forum for a while. It has been really informative, specifically reading threads which explain the terminology that I see referenced everywhere. The emw3165 devboard that we have is from Smart Arduino, which was super confusing for me at first. As you know, it comes with the WiFiMCU and wording in their documentation was a little challenging to understand where the original firmware came from. I.e. did MXChip ship the module with firmware or did smartArduino create their own... well, the answer appears to be both :)

I haven't been able to find the source for MxChipWNet. I see many references to MxChipWNet for emw316x (i.e. version 1.27) but the source has support only for STM32F2x and not the 3165's STM32F4x. Needless to say, that confused me a little as well :D

So here we are, I've read a bunch of advice from this forum suggesting to skip MxChipWNet and jump right into WICED - which appears to be a good thing because I'm unable to find the source repo for MxChipWNet anyway! There is the Smart Arduino's WiFiMCU, but that's such a mess with the LUA implementation. Even though there is a huge pile of existing MxChipWNet unused libraries, such as the MICO Cli and MQTT and and and. I would much rather have the vanilla MxChipWNet repo to start from.

Although I guess if i'm unable to get access to the MxChiWNet repo, I'll use WICED.

The Smart Arduino would be good but LUA is limiting for processing anything other than plain text. For example...

1) With smart arduino and lua, configuring the transparent UART <-> WiFi doesn't work with 0x00 because LUA expects all variable data to be either number or string and 0x00 terminates the string. So it doesn't work as a true proxy, at all

2) The Uart.Setup() does not have flow control configuration. I did modify the Smart Arduino sourcecode to accept additional parameters to enable UART flow control although #1 is the big trouble.

So here we are, I would really like the MxChipWNet source repo or library which works with the emw3165. In the meantime, i'll get WICED setup and see how that works.

emilfr

Re: New User Introduction, Hi!

Mon Nov 16, 2015 7:36 am

Welcome. If you're using WICED, then I suggest joining our gitter.im chat as well (see my signature). It's easier to have back and forth conversations there in real time.
If you are interested in MICO, then I suggest contacting sales@mxchip.com. They are very approachable and willing to help and can probably point you in the right direction as to getting the sources.
Maintainer of the EMW3162 and EMW3165 port of Broadcom WICED.
== Github == Gitter.im chatroom == WICED subforum == Getting started with WICED on EMW ==

-- Neither I nor the WICED for EMW project are affiliated with MXCHIP or Broadcom --

Return to “Welcome”