emwadmin
Site Admin

STLink Programmers

Sun Jul 19, 2015 5:00 am

Chances are high that you already have a programmer in your bag of dev tools, but if not, no reason to fret. While pretty much any JTAG programmer will work fine with the on-board STM32 MCU, a lower-cost option will be going with an STLink programmer.

You can pick up the official ST-branded programmer from the common catalog distributors for around $21. The full listing of options can be found here:
https://octopart.com/search?q=ST-LINK%2FV2

Additionally, if you've already got one of ST's discovery boards laying around, you can use the integrated programmer on that board as a stand-alone STLink programmer. They make it really easy, the pins are already broken out. Also worth noting is that most of the discovery boards are cheaper than the stand-alone STLink programmer listed above. In fact, the STM32F4Discovery board is available for ~$15 - $18 from the same vendors:
https://octopart.com/search?q=STM32F4DISCOVERY&start=0

Now, if you're not concerned with using ST-official programmers (and there's no reason you shouldn't be using others), Adafruit is selling a 3rd-party STLink programmer for $12.50: https://www.adafruit.com/product/2548 Of course, the one sold on Adafruit is pretty much the same one available on eBay or Aliexpress for half the price, but with Adafruit you are paying for the convenience of reliable customer service and relatively quick shipping. If you're looking for the absolute cheapest option and don't mind waiting for it to cross the ocean, you can pick one up for $5.70 here:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/DZ399-St-link-v2-stm8-stm32-artificial-device-programmer-stlink-1pcs-/271513272420?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3f3773c064

emilfr

Re: STLink Programmers

Wed Jul 22, 2015 10:16 pm

I would recommend, for native support with WICED, to pick up a J-Link clone or a FT2232H breakout board. The MICO framework from MXCHIP is a WICED derivative, but as I've not used it, I don't know if it supports the same JTAG adapters.
While we have added ST-Link support for basic flashing with the EMW3162, it cannot use the special config that comes with WICED to, for example, flash factory reset or OTA update firmware to external SPI flash.
Maintainer of the EMW3162 and EMW3165 port of Broadcom WICED.
== Github == Gitter.im chatroom == WICED subforum == Getting started with WICED on EMW ==

-- Neither I nor the WICED for EMW project are affiliated with MXCHIP or Broadcom --

emilfr

Wed Jul 22, 2015 10:19 pm

Nb. I'm talking about the experience with the EMW3162 with Broadcom WICED. There is a small community of us around the project on Github https://gitter.im/EMW3162/WICED_for_EMW3162
https://github.com/EMW3162/WICED_for_EMW3162
== Github == Gitter.im chatroom == WICED subforum == Getting started with WICED on EMW ==

-- Neither I nor the WICED for EMW project are affiliated with MXCHIP or Broadcom --

RogerClark

Sat Jul 25, 2015 10:20 pm

There are plenty of STLink clone boards on eBay and AliExpress for around $6 and the all work fine.

There are 2 basic hardware designs of these clone boards, one has 2 rows of pins at 90 deg to the board, the other has a plug coming out the opposite end of the board from the USB.

To upload you either need to use STMs own Windows GUI program (also comes with a command line exe) or you can use Texane/STlink from github

Note. Texane Stlink does not work with all STM nucleo or discovery boards, as some of them have different STlink firmware to the fw in the cheap clones.
However Texane is your only option on OSX or Linux as STM Dont have SW for those platforms.

Another alternative is to use the Black Magic Probe, which is very similar to STlink but also has Usb serial support via hardware connections to the target system e.g. on PA9 and PA10.

Other alternative upload methods are Serial, and I think the F4 series have a hardware DFU uploader that uses the onboard usb on the F4 but i dont know if this module breaks out the USB pins ( i hope it does)

BTW. Anyone interested in coding using the Arduino IDE.
There is already a discussion on www.stm32duino.com about this board, to leverage our existing support for STM32F4 boards , albeit i dont know if our codebase works with the F411

emilfr

Wed Aug 05, 2015 10:36 pm

ST-Link v2 works fine for the board, but not for use with Broadcom WICED, out of the box.

Jonny0stars

Tue Aug 25, 2015 10:53 am

I've been using the ST Nucleo F411RE and its built in ST-Link v2-1 programmer (detachable) to flash the EMW3165. It was handy as i had it lying around, I think it even uses the same MCU so you can use it as a cheap, easy to use devboard, even provides the 3v for the module so a all in one solution. It cost me ~£8 from RS components about a year ago, so cheaper than the ST Link programmer plus it comes with a MCU as well.

Code: Select all

F4 device (low power) - stm32f411re

So far i have managed to
  1. Accidentally break the built in MiCO firmware? (wifi hotspot just stopped coming on for some after

Code: Select all

st-info --descr
    , oopth! (no blue smoke though)
  2. Build a simple chibios example to spam the USART(2) with text, as a basic "have i toasted this module" test (I hadn't)

I'll post up some wiring guides and source to my terrible example program. There was a gotcha for using the USART that took me a while to figure out. I had to erase the nucleo onboard MCU as it was stealing the USART2 bus, after i erased it i could use the usart RX/TX breakouts on the stlink portion of the board and miniterm.py to get serial coms with my PC.

Obviously no wifi yet but chibios does seem to have support for SDIO via the SDC driver, i've not delved into fully yet but it looks like it supports SD cards via SPI or SDIO so hopefully its spec compliant enough to call functions in the BCM43362, i've no idea how this will be done yet though, its hard to find examples as the WICD SDK is closed source and they wont let me join their "community". Spark photon and MiCO sources look a good place to start though.

emilfr

Thu Aug 27, 2015 3:06 pm

You have to sign up with what they call a "corporate e-mail address", but I signed up with my personal mail on my personal domain. Gmail, outlook.com, etc. doesn't work.

EDIT: To download WICED that is. I advise people not to upload WICED to this forum, as Broadcom recently cracked down on repositories on Github that had WICED in them... I got a DMCA for some old repos I had from before I created scripts that patch WICED instead.

Return to “Where To Buy”